Thursday, February 19, 2015

Show Review: Over the Garden Wall



Over the Garden Wall is a mini series that is creepy yet delightful, whimsical yet profound at the same time. It's a part of these new animations that are both for adult and children. It a bandwagon that I've started hitching myself onto since I've been away from watching cartoons and anime for a while. This show is slapstick comedy on the surface that will delight kids but when viewed by adults, you get something more profound. Existential even.

It tells the story of two brothers who are lost in the forest called the Unknown and their journey to get home. Unlike Adventure Time which I found to be too.. weird? (I'll get back to finishing it eventually) this show is a bit more relatable albeit more on the creepy side. I'is in the same vein as Courage the Cowardly Dog was for me as a kid, where the protagonists face something weird every episode. It is literally facing the Unknown (fear of and the forest itself) which I mostly chickened out growing up, hence a long list of unfinished horror games to my belt. I've recently begun exploring that side of myself and this show is a good start I think. It's not overtly creepy but there is a heavy feeling that something is off. Very off throughout the show.

The show is only 10 episodes long, each lasting about 11 minutes so it's pretty short. The first season ended on a high note for me. If it did end this short (which I doubt) then I'm happy with that because it looked like the show knows when to stop correctly unlike other TV shows like Supernatural where the network is just milking the cow dry for all it's worth. I highly recommend this show to most people, adult and kids alike. :)

1 comment: